Historic Home Buyer Expo
Event Sponsors: W. T. Kemper Foundation - Commerce Bank Trustee, General Mills, Kansas City Regional Association of Realtors, Susan Richards Johnson and Associates, Treanor Architects, Rosin Preservation, Architectural Craftsman, Foundation Recovery Systems, Architectural Masonry and Restoration, Schloegel Design Remodel, Renaissance Roofing, Rare Construction, Hearthmasters
The response to this event has been overwhelmingly positive! We strongly advise buying tickets in advance to ensure availability.
Join Historic Kansas City and the Young Preservationists, KC for two days packed with information, assistance and networking–all about historic houses! Whether you are thinking of buying or already a homeowner, this event is for you. Join the conversation and help us inspire residents to invest in rehabilitating and renovating historic homes.
The Exhibition Hall will be located in the Chamber of Commerce Board Room at Union Station with booths comprised of vendors, contractors, banks, architects and other professional and nonprofit services. “Education Sessions” will be held in the Jarvis Hunt Room of Union Station. “Conversations” will be held in the Missouri Room at the Chamber of Commerce. Historic Kansas City volunteers will also be manning a booth to assist with researching the history of your house! Get onsite help finding tax assessor photos, search online resources and get other research tips.
Expo Hall Tickets: $10 Members, $12 Nonmembers (includes Expo Hall and Opening Reception)
Full Pass Tickets: $25 Members, $30 Nonmembers (includes Expo Hall, Opening Reception, Education Sessions and Conversations)
Tickets include 1 drink ticket at our opening reception. Cash bar for additional purchases. Please print and bring your PayPal receipt for check-in.
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 19th
Exhibition Hall: 4pm – 8pm Chamber of Commerce Board Room
Opening Reception: 5pm—7pm Chamber of Commerce Board Room
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 20th
Exhibition Hall: 10am – 5pm Chamber of Commerce Board Room
Education Sessions: 10am – 5pm (50 min each) Jarvis Hunt Room
- Old House Challenges and Opportunities (led by Jonas Brothers Inc.) 10am – 10:50am
- Is owning a historic house the right choice for you? Jonas describes the many rewards but also lays out the challenges in this lively presentation.
- Financial Incentives for Rehab (Bob Long, Economic Development Council and Diane Reuter) 11am – 11:50am
- An overview of MO and KS Historic Tax Credits and other financial incentives available to owners and potential owners of historic homes.
- LUNCH BREAK 12pm – 12:50pm
- Historic KC House Styles (led by Citysearch Preservation, Susan Jezak Ford) 1pm – 1:50pm
- Queen Anne or Craftsmen? Bungalow or Ranch? Hear a quick chronological review of common house forms and styles in our town.
- Kansas City Land Bank (led by Ted Anderson, KCMO Land Bank and Homesteading Authority) 2pm – 2:50pm
- An overview and history of the Kansas City Land Bank including how to acquire properties.
- Trends in Renovation (led by Billie Deatherage, Deatherage Home Designs and Brad Scott, Schloegel Design Remodel) 3pm – 3:50pm
- Wondering whats stylish and trending in house renovation? Get the scoop from designers and contractors with insider client knowledge.
- What it Means to Live in a Historic District (led by Erik Heitman, Brad Wolf and KCMO Historic Preservation Commission) 4pm – 4:50pm
- An overview of the benefits and review processes that come with this designation.
Conversations: 10am – 5pm (50 min each) – Chamber of Commerce Conference Room
- Energy Solutions for Older Homes (led by Mike O’Connell, Hayes Insulation) 10am – 10:50am
- Do you have hot or cold spots in your home? Learn how to easily and affordably make your home more comfortable.
- Period Color Schemes and Renovations (led by Paul Helmer, A Touch of Distinction Color and Design) 11am – 11:50am
- Harvest Orange, Prussian Blue, Sandstone… Advice on the appropriate historic color choices for your home.
- LUNCH CONVERSATION “Mistakes I’ve Made” 12pm – 12:50pm
- Historic Chimney and Fireplace Restoration (led by Marge Padgitt, HearthMasters) 1pm – 1:50pm
- What you need to know about historic chimney improvements, flue liners, code and safety issues, and fireplace restoration.
- Old House Kitchens and Bathrooms (led by Rose Middleton, Rare Construction) 2pm – 2:50pm
- Problems, possibilities, and solving typical issues from structural challenges to design dilemmas.
- Midcentury Modern Homes (led by KC Modern) 3pm – 3:50pm
- Midcentury modern is the new historic. An overview of the style and some of the challenges that come with it.
- Environmental Hazards in Older Homes (led by Kyle Gunion, Titan Environmental Services, Inc.) 4pm – 4:50pm
- An overview of environmental hazards and remediation strategies for older homes, including lead paint, mold and asbestos.
Acme Brass Plating
Anthony Plumbing, Heating and Cooling
Architectural Masonry and Restoration, Inc.
Bob Myers Properties
Drew Gillmore – Keller Williams
Foundation Recovery Systems
Habitat for Humanity Restore
Historic Preservation Commission
Historic Kansas City
Jonas Brothers, Inc
KCMO Homesteading Authority
KCMO Land Bank
Marvin Window and Doors
National Association of the Remodeling Industry
Plasterkraft and Mural Masters
Schloegel Design Remodel
A Touch of Distinction Color and Design
Vintage KC Magazine
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS: